I heard a pastor tell a story the other week about what loving someone really looks like. When he was in college his freshman year, he had all basic classes and one class he remembered particularly. This class had attendance as part of the grade, but one girl in his class took this lightly. He said she came in everyday of class and slept, but when the attendance sheet came around, she would wake up long enough to sign it. She sat right behind him, and every day of class he would shout, “HEY!” right before he’d slide her the sheet. Started by his yelling, she’d wake up and sig the sheet. This went on for five weeks. In week six of the class this pastor’s classmate didn’t show up. He turned to wake her and noticed she wasn’t there. He turned to the professor and said in a sarcastic tone of voice, “I guess she realized that she could just sleep at her place, and that right Teach?” The professor stood there astonished at what he said and asked, “You don’t know do you?” Now at this point the pastor was more confused than ever and asked, “Know what?”
The professor went on to tell remind this pastor of a story in the school newspaper about a girl who got in a car accident on the campus and had tragically died. The professor said, “That was her.” Silence flowed throughout the classroom. The pastor reflected on this incident when God spoke to him and said, “Now do you see the importance of telling people about me?” Conviction hit the pastor like a ton of bricks. He had spent five weeks with this girl and never loved her enough to share the Gospel with her. He, to this day, doesn’t know if she was saved or not.
Let this be a challenge to us all. I heard a statistic that said that 90% of Americans think 100% have heard the Gospel. I don’t believe that to be truthful. I think 90% of America has heard SOME TYPE OF GOSPEL but not THE GOSPEL.
34"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." John 13:34-35
One last challenging thought:
How much do you have to hate someone to know what you know, and to not tell them?
If you had the cure for cancer, you’d tell everyone who needed it. We have the cure for sin and death, and we sometimes don’t love other enough to share the cure with them. I love you brothers and sisters, let us rise to the occasion and share the Love of Christ!
Bryan this is SUCH a good story! thanks for sharing
ReplyDelete-Savannah:)