So I have noticed a great deal of growth in the amount of viewers of this blog in the past month, Praise Jesus. Knowing this, it would only be fitting to do a small three part series on a core theme of scripture that I feel we as believers should always be reminded about! The series name will be known as The Cost of Discipleship. I want the take the next few blogs and dive into an idea that Jesus himself speaks on in Luke 14. This speech he gives doesn’t stand alone, it actually is a theme that is seen throughout the New Testament! Lord, I pray that the person reading this will be encouraged and have their faith increased as they read this blog. (Reader: feel free to read this a loud) Jesus I welcome you Spirit in this place to do as you will it and that I may begin a deeper relationship with you than I already have now!
“25 Large crowds were traveling with Jesus, and turning to them he said: 26 “If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple.”
Jesus is walking with this monstrous crowd following him and decided that he needs to make sure they are following him with the right motives. He had been giving very impacting speeches, healing the sick, and telling very understandable parables, but wanted to make sure they were following him not for those reasons; but for a deeper reason! He looks at them and says something that I myself wouldn’t be prepared for. In fact, when I came across this verse a few years back, I wasn’t prepared for it.
He has quite a list of things that we should hate here. Hate is a word that most Christians would never associate with words Jesus said! Let’s clear some things up. Jesus is not permitting any follower of Christ to display vengeance, wrath, anger, or punishment on any of the people listed. What he is doing is telling us that we’re involved in something bigger that what we sometimes think! Some commentators on this verse will say that the word hate means “to Love less.” This can make the verse work, but the interesting fact here is the Greek word used here only translates to English word “hate.” What does this mean? You said that we’re not allowed to show acts of hatred toward the people listed.
What Christ is saying here is a spiritual Hyperbole. He is saying the word hate as an exaggeration to show the amount of love you should have for him. Here is what I mean. When I was in high school I had one really good friend. He was my best friend. We did everything together. We soon made another friend that shared the same likes, dislikes, music, ECT. I remember this one week I hung out with this newer friend more than I did with my long time best friend. I’ll never forget what my best friend said, “Bryan is everything okay between us? Have I done anything to hurt you?” I was blown away by this question, and kind of chuckled. I asked him why he asked and he said, “Well I saw that you hung out with (Newer Friend) a lot this week and…. I don’t know… felt like I must have done something. Bryan, I kind of felt like you hated me.”
See where I’m going with this? Our interaction, our love, our intimacy should be focused on Christ some much so, that the people Jesus lists could almost feel that we hate them. That everyone in the list could have a similar conversation with us based on our walk with Jesus.
Some people reading need to look at their boyfriend, girlfriend, or their spouse and tell them, “Look, I gave my life to Christ, I want you to help me in this decision, but if you are going to lead me into sin, you better check yourself! Christ is telling us that He is our First Love!
“30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’” MARK 12:30
We are called to love Jesus above all things, above all people, above all friendships, above all relationships, and above all family members. Remember, the end of the first verse is that if you can’t love Christ above these things:
You Cannot Be Christ’s Disciple!
Be Blessed Beloved!
Dude. Deep. It spoke to me. Keep it up. can't wait for part 2
ReplyDeleteThat's good brother
ReplyDelete