Monday, May 27, 2013

Anything You Have, What I Have Is Better!

This week we are going to take a little break from the normal theme of the past few blogs. We were taking a journey through Mark and if you are still interested, feel free to check those posts out! This week though when I was at study, I felt the Holy Spirit shift to a different topic. So this week we will dive right into the verses that have been drastically blowing my mind the past few months!


"But everything that was a gain to me, I have considered to be a loss because of Christ. More than that, I also consider everything to be a loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. Because of Him I have suffered the loss of all things and consider them filth, so that I may gain Christ and be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own from the law, but one that is through faith in Christ — the righteousness from God based on faith. ⌊My goal⌋ is to know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death, assuming that I will somehow reach the resurrection from among the dead." Philippians 3:7-11 HCSB

Now let me start by this, I love this book and I have read these verses several times and still get excited every time I read them! In fact when I was at my good friend's bachelor party and we opened to these verses at the bonfire Bible study, I was super stoked! But what God unraveled in my heart and is still doing in my life will prayerfully push you today!

Paul was a guy, named formally as Saul of Tarsus, and wanted all Christians to suffer painfully for their twist of Paul's most holy Jewish faith! He had a radical encounter with Jesus on the road to Damascus and was forever changed. He is writing to the Philippians about something he finds as something core to understand about faith!

Paul, a man once thought to be the elite in the Jewish faith of his day, elite in his culture, says he found that there was something greater than knowing all of that! There way something so much more valuable, something that far exceeded all of his high points in life added and multiplied on top of each other!

Paul says nothing compares to knowing Jesus! In fact, Paul says he is willing to continually give away anything that can be seen as his, or suffer a loss of all things if it could mean bringing more value to knowing Jesus in his life! Paul's love for knowing Jesus overruled, trumped, superseded, and engulfed every facet of his being! That's intense!

Jesus once put it like this:

“If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his own father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters — yes, and even his own life — he cannot be My disciple." Luke 14:26 HCSB

The word hate in this passage means to love less. That means jesus wants us to love everything less than knowing Him! I repeat, God in the flesh and Paul concur that our affection for knowing Jesus must be greater than anything else in our life!

So what is in your way? What do you love more? What distracts you from making your relationship with Jesus have the most value in life?

Leave you answer below Beloved, and share if you enjoyed the encouragement!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share